Podcast conversation with Marty Behr, Abercrombie & Kent USA.
Thank you Marty – your insights on all things Alaska are invaluable.
Enjoy the highlights below and then watch the show or listen to the podcast.
- The luxury in Alaska is about the experience. The vast beauty, spectacular wildlife, access to remote places and incredible adventures.
- #1 adventure on my bucketlist – the heli-via ferrata from Tordrillo Mountain Lodge. (And seeing my son go on the self-propelled surfboard in their lake, and going heli-mountain biking, and seeing the grizzly bears eat salmon jumping out of the river and seeing calving glaciers. There are more. Clearly I need to go to Alaska – the trip is already booked!)
- Brooks Falls in Katmai National Park is one of the best spots for bear viewing. But it also gets crowded during prime season, so seek out lesser known/less accessible places during those times. In season check out the live webcam to see how many bears there are looking for salmon. (Off season they show highlights. You can see the salmon jumping!)
- Best time for Northern Lights viewing – January – March
- Best way to see Alaska – land and sea. They both have stunning landscapes and different wildlife.
- Two US based expedition cruises and 2 yachts are able to sail in summer 2021. Consider those, or stay somewhere like Tutka Bay that’s on the water and take water based excursions from there.
- A few of our favorite lodges: