Podcast conversation with Wes DuPlessis from the Royal Portfolio hotels.
Enjoy the highlights below and then watch the show or listen to the podcast.
I so enjoyed my talk with Wes about his four iconic destinations in South Africa. As someone who has worked at each property, he has a depth of knowledge that I love to tap into.
Why do we love these properties? Some of my favorite reasons are below…
- Imagine sitting with your guide and trackers at a bush dinner, listening to their stories – of wildlife, their history & families, while occasionally hearing the roar of a lion or the cackle of a hyaena.
- That picture! – of encountering the pride of lions that roams near the property, learning how they have come back from a horrible drought.
- Elephants everywhere! Including drinking out of a trough next to your plunge pool (these happen to be Elton John’s favorite rooms).
- Some of the best rhino viewing in SA.
- The giftshop!
- Their mission is true to the 3 pillars of sustainable tourism. They practice it every day through their conservation efforts in antipoaching where they hire and train ex mercenaries to look after the precious wildlife, through their foundation supporting local schools, hiring locals as career guides and by actively following environmentally friendly practices.
- The rooftop bar/terrace with spectacular 360 degree views over Cape Town.
- Having a massage on a terrace above the rooftop bar.
- The pool!
- The bathrooms are all the same size and decorated in instagrammable luxury – no matter the room.
- OTT – the Royal Suite and deluxe superior rooms which are on the corners with the most amazing views.
- There are 8 ways to go wine tasting including by mountain bike or horseback (bonus: if you need a driven mode of transport home, they’ve got you covered.)
- The views!
- The whales coming through on their migration to Antarctica.
- The sunsets from the pool terrace are magical. Having a massage on the terrace while listening to the sound of the ocean and seeing whales breeching.
- Go on an expedition with the chef – walking down to the beach to harvest mussels then returning to the hotel kitchen for a lesson in how to cook them. Afterwards sitting down in the dining room to enjoy your bounty while other guests inquire about the experience.
I asked Wes what order he would visit his properties if someone were to stay at all four. His suggestion… Birkenead House, The Silo, La Residence, Royal Malewane.
You can see where the Royal Portfolio hotels are located on this MAP.