Podcast conversation with Gillian Griffin, Adare Manor.
Southwest Ireland is lush and green with gorgeous seaside cliffs, fresh seafood, friendly people, world renowned golf courses, beautiful hikes and several historic hotels. One very special one is Adare Manor. Gillian gave us a great overview of the Adare Manor property and recent updates – including the SubAir technology under the golf course and the new Paddle Club with indoor paddle tennis and golf simulator. They have connecting rooms in the hotel and even better for families are the 2-4 bedroom cottages.
The town of Adare has been mentioned on many lists of the most beautiful towns in Ireland and Europe. For such a tiny town to have 4 pubs is quite a bit – a testament to how much the Irish like their pubs. Each pub has music a different night of the week, so as not to conflict with one another. If you are there for a visit, choose a pub with music that night to get the full Irish feel.
Must visits and must dos:
- Cliffs of Moher
- Family-owned Burren Perfumery to make your own lotion, perfume or soap from their local, organic flowers.
- Golf – in general area – Tralee, Doonbeg, Dooks, Lahinch, Ballybunion are fairly closeby.
- Horseback riding, surfing, fly fishing, hiking “one of the best day hikes on the planet”
- Uragh Wood – 7 miles round trip – is a wonderful active hike.
- Boutiques, pubs and restaurants of Adare (1826 is Gillian’s favorite).
- Another hotel recommendation… The Europe.
OTT (over the top)
- Book one of Adare’s four Signature Suites with your own butler. He’s so delightful that you’ll want to take him home with you.
- Plan a Horse & Hound welcome to greet you as you arrive.
- Reserve the wine cellar for the night – you take a secret trip through the back of the house to get there.
- Take the wheel of a Porsche 911 Carrera or a Jaguar XJS V1 and kiss the hedgerows in a self-drive classic car or have your chauffeur pick you up in a classic Bentley
- Take a flight seeing adventure by helicopter over the stunning Cliffs of Moher
- Enjoy a wild river cruise on a zero emissions, zero carbon footprint, zero-motor boat. Stop for a delightful picnic while you meander small rivers.
- Super OTT – do the last 3 of the above in one day.