Podcast conversation with Richard Beatty.
I knew Richard and I would have a fun conversation about hiking Mt Kilimanjaro and he did not disappoint. A reminder…”it’s about the journey, not the destination” is very true regarding this or any big hike.
We talked all about what you need to know if you want to climb Africa’s highest peak:
- Seasonality (avoid Apr/May)
- 4N, 5N – too short
- 6N – bare minimum, but not ideal
The ultimate trip is a 9D – allows you to stay in the crater overnight at the summit and a day time ascent. All shorter routes normally have a night time ascent, reaching the summit around dawn – it really is an exhausting way of doing it.
- What to consider when choosing your outfitter – Guide, safety, camp, porter team
- How many porters go with you. VIP vs. “normal” experience
- Preparation – how fit do you need to be?
- Life on the mountain – hours/day hiking, bathrooms, showers and washing, sleeping – on what? foam pads, foam mattresses, cots
- Other considerations – preparation, kids/teens, $$
Is hiking Mt. Kilimanjaro on your bucket list? Get in touch to learn more.