Podcast conversation with Marne Sheldon
Have you ever actually heard the sound of silence? If you go to Sheldon Chalet, you will. I love remote places in spectacular destinations and Sheldon Chalet is both. At 5800 feet of elevation, 10 miles from the summit, sits Sheldon Chalet. The rare location is matched by the unique story of how this little chalet came to be.
In the last 50 years since it’s been built, three generations of the Sheldon Family have cared for this special eplace with love and they generously share it with the fortunate guests who come to stay. One guest described it as “an exponential avalanche of WOW!”
The chalet is 5 bedrooms, 2.5 baths and able to host up to 10 guests for an exclusive use getaway.
In the summer (May-Aug) temperatures reach 60F and the midnight sun is present. If you are lucky you will hear or see avalanches. In the winter (Nov-Feb) they average over 100 feet of new snow per year. There are endless first tracks, backcountry skiing, climbing, and crevasse exploration.
At the lodge enjoy:
- “Adventuring in place”
- Watching magical sunrises and sunsets
- Aurora borealis/northern lights – (September through April is best)
- Sauna with views of the summit
- Chilling by the firepit
- Cocktails on the deck (glacial ice is especially fun to have in your drink)
- A luxurious massage
- Playing the guitar in the hammock of the deck
- Glacier hiking
- Heli flight tour
- Ice climbing
- Rock climbing
- Back country skiing
- Cross country skiing
The culinary experience is exquisite. The chef will prepare meals at the house using local ingredients, homemade baked goods and fresh fish. Or plan a seafood extravaganza for a glacier picnic.
As with most places the guides really make the experience, and at Sheldon Chalet they have the best.
Logistics to get there:
- Inbound and outbound helicopter flightseeing tour from Talkeetna or Anchorage
- Note: weather considerations are a factor and we’ll walk you though those details
- In the summer it is light out very late
- Sheldon Chalet is exclusive use and all inclusive including use of adventure apparel + gear, guided exploration and adventure in the 35 square mile Don Sheldon Amphitheater
- Kids – to participate in roped/harnessed glacier exploration, guests must be at least 10 years old and/or a minimum weight of 100 lbs/45 kg.
- How in shape must you be? Exploration is suitable for any level of physical fitness; from the consummate athlete to the light adventurer to those who simply desire to “adventure in place”
- Minimum of 3 nights/4 days. The most ideal experience is 4 nights/5 days
- Best to combine with what other lodges? Tordrillo Mountain Lodge is my favorite combination!
*Your exclusive gift when booked through Truvay Travel – one night pre/post stay at their beautiful 3 bedroom historic home in downtown Talkeetna.
More details: https://sheldonchalet.com