Ofer and I had so much fun talking about one of my favorite Latin American countries – Costa Rica. Costa Rica is an idyllic destination for active and adventurous travelers – adults or families of all ages.
Enjoy the highlights below and then watch the show or listen to the podcast.
A few of our favorite hotels:
- Pacuare – Reach this remote lodge by river rafting. Then take a zipline to dinner in a nest.
- Nayara’s three properties – Springs (adults only), Garden and Tented Camps (newest – great for families). Member of Relais & Chateaux.
- El Silencio – Secluded & tranquil, set in a 500 acre private reserve. Enjoy a stay in their stand alone casitas and practice yoga on their outdoor deck. Member of Relais & Chateux.
- Kura Boutique Hotel – Small with only eight rooms. Adults only. Voted by Forbes as “the most glamorous resort in CR.”
- La Finca Rosa Blanca – NationalGeo Unique Lodge of the World. Located relatively close to San Jose Airport, making it a great choice for the night before you fly home.
On/near the beach:
- Four Seasons at Peninsula Papagayo– A beautiful and classic Four Seasons property. Beloved and included kids club, wide range of accommodation options, so many activities including their own golf course.
- Kasiiya – Glamping tented camp. Great choice if looking to be secluded and relax.
- W Hotel – Zipline from pool to beach. Beer tap in every room.
Villas/homes – Costa Rica has a wide selection of villas of all sizes, both inland and at the beach.
- Tree climbing for all mobility levels
- Mountain biking
- Horseback riding
- 4WD buggies
- Visit San Lucas island, a former prison where you can swim with turtles, hammerhead sharks and dolphins
- Charter a helicopter to see the beauty of the rainforest, volcano and coast
- Seabobbing with a pod of dolphins off the coast*
* on my personal bucket list
Costa Rica doesn’t have a simple wet and dry season. The country is broken into micro-climates, so once you know the time of year for your visit, you’ll want to focus in on the ideal locations for your trip.
Distance vs time. Do not simply measure how long you think a route will take by the distance. 60 miles does not equate to 60 minutes. If traveling with kids, ask for a realistic assessment of travel time based on minutes and hours.
There are two major airports – San Jose and Liberia. Many US airports have direct flights to both, so consider flying into one and out of the other to reduce transit time.
Costa Rica is not known for white sand beaches like the Caribbean. So set you expectations appropriately. Most travelers coming to Costa Rica do a combination of beach time and inland time to allow for seeing the best of what the country offers.